The Chandler Renovation
In 1916 Austin White hired the architect Joseph Everett Chandler. Chandler is known as one of the first American preservation architects, and his impact on the building was large. At the instruction of White, he took down the two stories back of the house and rebuilt it as a three story structure. He created the space for the large library, that is now known as the Chandler Room and his foot print can be seen in almost every room in the house. His work includes the tiles around the fireplaces as well as the large front door. This was the last major alteration to the building. The house is now painted with the colors Chandler used.