The East Parlor
This room and the room above were probably built as a separate house and brought here. Compared to the Bosphorus room, the dimensions are different: ceilings are lower and the room is not as wide or as deep. The wall containing the arched doors divides the room and creates a small area, today used as a pantry. The small space could have been a chimney and stairwell bay.
A review of the existing records suggest that this was a house that was brought here by Henry Hooper in 1716 or 1717 when he reclaimed and expanded his parents’ house. Supporting this theory, our probes of the building show that the beams under the Georgian casings display First Period characteristics.
As in the rest of the house, this room has been altered in multiple campaigns. Its earliest alterations show it being refashioned into the Georgian style and used as a kitchen. In the second alteration, the south wall was furred out to create window seats that match the Bosphorus room. At that time the cooking was shifted to the back of the house; soon after the arched door was installed. Additional alterations include the federal style mantle.
Structural evidence suggests that the east side of the house was moved here and joined to the west side, already on the site. But we still do not know which is the older. We hoped a recent Dendrochronology study would answer these questions, but only one of the three samples was datable. Taken from the west side, it dates to 1685.