Welcome to the Hooper-Lee-Nichols House. The original section of this building was built in the late 17th century, making it the second oldest house in Cambridge and one of the oldest houses in New England. From its location on Brattle Street, it has witnessed over 300 years of American history.
The building was donated to the Cambridge Historical Society in 1957 by Frances Emerson and has been our headquarters ever since. Today the Hooper-Lee-Nichols House houses our staff offices and special collection archives.
The Hooper-Lee-Nichols House is located on the traditional homelands of the Massachusetts people. We acknowledge that we are here as guests, and strive to give honor and respect to these ancestors as well as the thousands of Native people living in the Commonwealth today.
We know about the history of the white families that lived in the HLN House. However, less is known about the servants and enslaved people associated with house and the land. To learn more about the enslaved people associated with the HLN, please read Brief History of the Hooper-Lee-Nichols House and Enslaved People.
Like any building that has been lived in for over 300 years, the Hooper-Lee-Nichols House has been changed by its residents over the years and modified repeatedly to meet the style of the day. Interested in its architectural history? Read Rediscovering the Hooper-Lee-Nichols House (Cambridge Historical Society, 2010)
Rent the Hooper-Lee-Nichols House
The Hooper-Lee-Nichols House is one of the oldest houses in Cambridge, listed on the National Register of Historic Places. Built in 1685 and transformed into a Georgian mansion in the 1730s, the house is an architectural and social history treasure.
Depending on the type of event, capacity ranges from 40-100 people. Please contact us to discuss your rental needs at 617-547-4252 or firstname.lastname@example.org.